Friday, August 14, 2009

Go Quinn!

So, back in April, I posted about how I was "grateful and a little depressed". Grateful for the fabulous new school we enrolled Quinn in, and depressed about the evaluation recently completed by that school, showing, among other depressing things, that Quinn's cognitive level was only around 8 months old. I just got a new eval today, and all I can say is GO QUINN! And GO EARLY INTERVENTION TEAM! This new one shows Quinn's cognitive level as 18 months. What a dramatic difference. We've noticed it at home, but of course hadn't put a developmental age on it. I am really proud of my little superstar and all the work he's done. The report notes what a good student he is, and how much he loves to be praised for a job well done.

It looks like language is still lagging behind, at 10 months, but based on these results, I feel more confident that he will continue to progress...as long as we can keep him in an educational setting that suits him. That's a story for another post. Despite our terrific IEP process, we're facing some hurdles with finding an appropriate pre-school program for our little man.

6 comments:

Jen said...

That's good news!
Do you know much about the preschool's schedule there? I don't know if you read my post that was on my blog for a day or two (I am employed by them; I probably should keep my opinions off the computer), but I'm having a bit of an issue with the preschool set-up here. I would like to hear how they do it there.
Briefly, here's their plan for Evan: 2 half days, where he rotates between 3 TEACHERS IN 3 ROOMS. Nicely put, I don't agree with that set-up.

ST said...

Jen, I did see that post and had meant to comment. That's just terrible! That plan doesn't make sense at all. We're still not sure what Quinn will get, but our IEP states that he should have a program similar to the early intervention one he's in now: about 4 hrs a day of intensive (1:2 ratio) education. However, now we're hearing (in the school district we're moving to, which is not where we had our IEP, but which we were told would accept the IEP made in the district we currently live in) that there is no such program available...

Krista said...

Goooooo Quinn!!!!!!! What great news.

Jen said...

There's just so much emphasis on early intervention...and yet, they have a program that offers, in my opinion, so little--2 half days. I'll be interested in hearing about the program you've been offered for Quinn.

ST said...

We're being offered 2.5 hours per day, all in the same classroom. But it's not the type of program (length or intensity) we agreed to in the IEP, so we will have to advocate for something else, even if it's in another district.

Bjetsey said...

yay Quinn!!

sorry that the transferring between districts is not going so smooth. I know you'll get what you want for Quinn, and what will be best for him, but it sucks that you're having to work so hard to get it!