Sunday, June 7, 2009

Shopping may never be the same again

Today on one of our early morning walks to the coffee shop following a 5:30 am wake-up (when I'm really really tired it's a very early morning drive to the Starbucks drive-thru), Quinn reached an important new milestone. He can shop. And if you can shop in our society, you can get along pretty well.

I was sleepily standing in line waiting for coffee, when I saw his cute little finger coming out of the stroller, pointing at the goodies in the display case! Then he signed "more" several times! It wasn't entirely clear what he was pointing to, so though I was tempted to buy him the entire jar of giant chocolate chip cookies to celebrate the occasion, I got him a piece of pumpkin bread.

I guess the days of being able to slip quickly in and out of a toy store to get something for another kid's birthday without getting something for Quinn are over, but at least for awhile, I don't think I'll mind at all.  All of these little milestones are all the more joyful because we wait so long, and we know how hard Quinn's "team" works to help him progress, and how hard Quinn works to learn new things. He is so proud of himself when he accomplishes a task, he applauds for himself. 

No comments: